Are you planning a trip to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City? If so, you may be wondering if you can bring a backpack with you. The answer is yes, but there are some restrictions and guidelines to keep in mind.
- Backpacks must be smaller than 16 x 12 x 30 inches.
- No backpacks with wheels are allowed.
- You must wear your backpack on your front at all times while in the museum.
Why Are There Backpack Restrictions?
The American Museum of Natural History has implemented these guidelines to ensure the safety and security of its visitors and collections. Large backpacks can be cumbersome and may accidentally knock over exhibits or damage specimens. Wearing your backpack on your front helps prevent this from happening.
What Can You Bring Instead?
If your backpack is too large or not allowed, don’t worry! You have other options for carrying your belongings while visiting the museum.
- A small bag or purse that fits within the size guidelines
- A camera bag or laptop bag that fits within the size guidelines
- A coat or jacket with pockets to carry small items
Tips for Visiting the Museum
Now that you know about the backpack guidelines, here are some additional tips for making the most of your visit to the American Museum of Natural History:
- Plan ahead: The museum is large and can take several hours to explore fully. Plan which exhibits you want to see ahead of time so you don’t miss anything.
- Arrive early: The museum can get crowded, especially on weekends and holidays.
Arriving early will give you more time and space to enjoy the exhibits.
- Dress comfortably: You’ll be doing a lot of walking, so wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Download the museum app: The American Museum of Natural History has a free app that can help you navigate the exhibits and learn more about them. Download it before your visit to enhance your experience.
In summary, you can bring a backpack to the American Museum of Natural History as long as it adheres to the size guidelines and is worn on your front. However, if your backpack doesn’t meet these requirements, there are other options for carrying your belongings. By following these guidelines and tips, you can have a safe and enjoyable visit to one of New York City’s most iconic museums.