After the death of Jesus Christ, he was buried in a tomb. However, three days later, he rose from the dead and appeared to his followers. But how many days did Jesus appear on Earth after his resurrection?
According to the New Testament, Jesus appeared to his followers for a period of 40 days before ascending into heaven. This is documented in Acts 1:3, which states that “He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God.”
During this time, Jesus appeared to his disciples and other followers several times. Some of these appearances are recorded in the Bible. Let’s take a closer look at some of these appearances:
1. The Resurrection: On the day of his resurrection, Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene at the tomb. This is documented in John 20:11-18.
2. To Two Disciples on Road to Emmaus: On the same day as his resurrection, Jesus appeared to two disciples on their way to Emmaus. This is documented in Luke 24:13-35.
3. To Peter: According to Luke 24:34 and 1 Corinthians 15:5, Jesus also appeared privately to Peter.
4. To Ten Disciples (Without Thomas): In John 20:19-23, it is recorded that Jesus appeared to ten disciples (without Thomas) in a locked room.
5. To Eleven Disciples (With Thomas): A week later, Jesus appeared again – this time with Thomas present – and showed them his wounds. This is documented in John 20:26-29.
6. At Sea Of Galilee With Seven Disciples: In John 21:1-14, it is recorded that Jesus appeared to seven disciples who were fishing at the Sea of Galilee.
7. Great Commissioning & Ascension Into Heaven – Finally, Jesus appeared to his disciples on a mountain in Galilee and gave them the Great Commission before ascending into heaven. This is documented in Matthew 28:16-20.
In addition to these recorded appearances, there may have been other times when Jesus appeared to his followers that were not documented in the Bible. However, we can be sure that he appeared for a period of 40 days before ascending into heaven.
In conclusion, Jesus appeared on Earth for a period of 40 days after his resurrection. During this time, he appeared to his disciples and other followers several times, as documented in the Bible. These appearances provided proof of his resurrection and gave hope to his followers.