Is a 4 on AP World History Good?

If you are a high school student who has recently taken the Advanced Placement (AP) World History exam, then you might be wondering if a 4 on the exam is considered good. The answer to this question is not straightforward, as it depends on several factors. In this article, we will explore what a 4 on AP World History means and whether it is a good score or not.

Understanding the AP World History Exam

The AP World History exam is designed to test your knowledge of world history from the foundations of civilization to the present day. The exam consists of two parts: multiple-choice questions and free-response questions. The multiple-choice section makes up 40% of your total score, while the free-response section makes up the remaining 60%.

Scoring System for AP Exams

Before we dive into whether a 4 on AP World History is a good score, let’s first discuss how AP exams are scored. Each AP exam is graded on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest possible score. Here’s what each score means:

  • 5 – Extremely well qualified
  • 4 – Well qualified
  • 3 – Qualified
  • 2 – Possibly qualified
  • 1 – No recommendation

Is a 4 on AP World History Good?

Now that we understand how AP exams are scored, let’s address the question at hand: Is a 4 on AP World History good? The short answer is yes, earning a 4 on any AP exam is considered good.

In fact, according to College Board data from the May 2019 exams, only around 18% of all students who took the AP World History exam scored a 4 or higher. This means that if you scored a 4, you are among a small percentage of students who performed well on the exam.

What Can You Do with a 4?

Earning a 4 on AP World History can open up many doors for you in terms of college admissions and credit. Some colleges and universities will grant you credit for courses related to AP World History if you score a 4 or higher. This can save you time and money, as it means that you will not have to take those courses in college.

Conclusion

In conclusion, earning a 4 on AP World History is definitely considered good. It is an indication that you have a solid understanding of world history and are well-prepared for college-level coursework.

Whether or not it is enough to earn you college credit depends on the policies of the colleges and universities that you are interested in attending. Nevertheless, congratulations on your achievement!