If you’re preparing for the AP World History exam, you may be wondering if there’s a curve on the test. A curve is a method used by exam administrators to adjust scores and account for any difficulty discrepancies in different versions of the exam. However, the question of whether or not there is a curve on the AP World History exam is a bit more complicated than a simple yes or no answer.
The Scoring Scale
Firstly, it’s important to understand how the AP World History exam is scored. The test consists of two sections, multiple choice and free response. The multiple-choice section accounts for 40% of your total score while the free-response section accounts for the remaining 60%.
Each section is scored on a scale from 1-5, with 5 being the highest possible score. Your scores from both sections are combined to give you an overall score out of 5.
The Curve Myth
There is a common misconception that all AP exams have curves that can boost your score. However, this isn’t necessarily true. According to The College Board, who administers all AP exams including World History, “there is no predetermined or guaranteed distribution of scores among students.”
This means that there isn’t necessarily a curve built into the scoring system for any AP exam including World History. Instead, your final score will be based solely on how well you perform compared to all other students who took the same version of the test.
While there may not be an official curve on the AP World History exam, percentile ranks are used to compare your score with other students who took the same version of the test. Your percentile rank shows what percentage of test-takers in your group you scored higher than.
For example, if you receive a percentile rank of 85%, it means you scored higher than 85% of students who took that version of the exam. This information can give you a better idea of how well you performed in comparison to your peers.
In conclusion, there is no official curve on the AP World History exam. Your score will be based solely on your performance compared to other students who took the same version of the test. However, percentile ranks are used to compare your score with others and give you an idea of where you stand in relation to other test-takers.
While it’s important to understand how scoring works, remember that the most important thing is to prepare thoroughly for the exam. Make sure you’re studying consistently and effectively, taking practice tests, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve a strong score on the AP World History exam.