When we read the Bible, we come across many instances where Jesus called people to follow Him. One of the most well-known events is when He called His first disciples. In this article, we will take a closer look at what happened when Jesus called His first disciples and their responses.
The Call of the First Disciples
The story of the call of the first disciples is found in Matthew 4:18-22, Mark 1:16-20, and Luke 5:1-11. Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee and saw two brothers, Simon Peter and Andrew, who were fishermen. He said to them:
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”
Immediately they left their nets and followed him. A little further up the shore he saw two other brothers, James and John, in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them and they also immediately left their boat and followed Him.
This event is significant because it marks the beginning of Jesus’ ministry on earth. The four men who responded to Jesus’ call became His closest followers and played a key role in spreading His message throughout the world.
The Significance of Jesus’ Call
There are several things we can observe from this event:
- Jesus is calling us to follow Him. Just like He called Peter, Andrew, James, and John over 2000 years ago, He is still calling people today to follow Him.
- Jesus is inviting us into a new way of life. When Peter and Andrew left their nets behind, they were leaving behind their livelihoods. They were stepping out in faith into something new that they didn’t fully understand yet.
- Jesus is calling us to be fishers of people. When Jesus said, “I will send you out to fish for people,” He was telling them that they would be part of His mission to reach the lost and bring them into a relationship with God.
The Responses of the First Disciples
The responses of Peter, Andrew, James, and John are remarkable. They didn’t hesitate or ask questions. They simply left everything behind and followed Jesus.
We can learn a lot from their responses. Here are a few things we can observe:
- They responded immediately. When Jesus called them, they didn’t say, “Let me think about it.” They didn’t say, “Let me finish what I’m doing first.” They responded immediately and followed Him.
- They left everything behind. Peter and Andrew left their nets. James and John left their boat and their father behind.
They were willing to give up everything to follow Jesus.
- They trusted Jesus completely. They didn’t know what the future held. They didn’t know where Jesus was taking them or what they would be doing. But they trusted Him completely and followed Him anyway.
The Call to Follow Jesus Today
Jesus is still calling people today to follow Him. Just like Peter, Andrew, James, and John, we are called to respond immediately, leave everything behind, and trust Him completely.
Are you hearing Jesus’ call today? Are you willing to step out in faith into something new? Are you ready to be a fisher of people?
If so, don’t hesitate. Respond today and follow Him wherever He leads you.