Have you ever heard someone say “Jesus is Lord” or “Let Jesus be the Lord of your life”? These phrases are commonly used in Christian circles, but what do they really mean? In this article, we’ll explore the concept of Jesus being Lord of your life and what that looks like in practice.
What does ‘Lord’ mean?
To understand what it means to let Jesus be Lord of your life, it’s important to first define the term “Lord.” In the Bible, “Lord” is a title used to refer to someone who has authority and power over others.
It can also be translated as “master” or “ruler.” When we say that Jesus is Lord, we are acknowledging that he has authority over our lives and that we submit to his will.
Why is it important to let Jesus be Lord?
Letting Jesus be Lord of our lives is important for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s a recognition of his sovereignty and divinity.
By submitting to him as our Lord, we are acknowledging that he is God and that we are not. This helps us keep things in perspective and remember that our lives are ultimately in his hands.
Secondly, letting Jesus be Lord means allowing him to guide our decisions and actions. When we submit to his will, we can trust that he has our best interests at heart and will lead us down the right path. This can bring a sense of peace and purpose to our lives.
Finally, letting Jesus be Lord means recognizing that we are not meant to live for ourselves alone. As Christians, we are called to love God and love others. By submitting ourselves to Jesus as Lord, we can better serve those around us and make a positive impact on the world.
What does it look like in practice?
So what does it look like to let Jesus be Lord of your life? Here are a few practical examples:
- Bible study: Regularly studying the Bible helps us understand God’s will and align ourselves with his plan.
- Prayer: Praying regularly allows us to communicate with God and seek his guidance in our lives.
- Serving others: When we serve others, we are following Jesus’ example of putting others before ourselves.
- Forgiveness: Forgiving others can be difficult, but it’s an important part of following Jesus. By letting go of grudges and resentment, we can better align ourselves with his will.
- Obedience: When we encounter difficult decisions or situations, we should strive to follow Jesus’ example and do what he would do.
Letting Jesus be Lord of your life is a powerful statement of faith. It means acknowledging his authority over your life and submitting to his will.
By doing so, you can experience greater peace, purpose, and fulfillment in your life. So if you haven’t already, consider making Jesus the Lord of your life today.