Are you a student currently enrolled in AP World History? If so, then you might have already heard about Unit 7. But for those who are not familiar with it, allow me to explain what this unit is all about.
Unit 7: The Modern World (1750-1900)
This unit covers the period between 1750 and 1900, which is considered as the start of the modern era. It’s a time when significant changes happened across the world, including industrialization, revolutions, and the rise of nationalism.
The Key Concepts of Unit 7
To better understand this unit, it’s essential to know its key concepts. Here are some of them:
- Industrial Revolution – This refers to the period when there was a shift from hand production methods to machine-based manufacturing.
- Enlightenment – An intellectual movement that emphasized reason and individualism rather than tradition.
- Nationalism – A political ideology that emphasizes the importance of national identity and unity.
- Imperialism – The policy of extending one country’s power and influence through colonization or use of military force.
- Globalization – The process by which businesses or other organizations develop international influence or start operating on an international scale.
The Themes in Unit 7
In addition to the key concepts mentioned above, there are also various themes that run throughout this unit:
Economic Systems and Development
During this time period, there was a significant change in economic systems worldwide. Industrialization led to new forms of capitalism that changed how goods were produced and consumed.
Social and Gender Structures
The social and gender structures in different societies were also changing. For example, the Industrial Revolution led to the rise of the middle class, which had a significant impact on social hierarchies.
Politics and Power Structures
Political power structures were also changing during this period. Nationalism played a significant role in these changes, leading to the emergence of new nation-states.
The modern era also saw significant changes in culture. For example, the Enlightenment movement encouraged individualism and critical thinking, leading to changes in art and literature.
The Importance of Unit 7
Understanding Unit 7 is crucial for anyone who wants to comprehend the world we live in today. The modern era was a time of immense change that laid the foundation for our current society.
To summarize, Unit 7 covers the period between 1750 and 1900 and focuses on various themes such as economic systems, social structures, politics and power structures, and culture. It’s essential to understand these concepts to fully appreciate how our world came to be what it is today.