The Journal of American History is one of the most prominent scholarly publications in the field of American history. It is published quarterly by the Organization of American Historians (OAH), which was founded in 1907. The Journal has been a cornerstone of the OAH’s mission to promote the study and teaching of American history for over a century.
When Was the Journal of American History Published?
The first issue of the Journal of American History was published in 1914, making it over a century old. Since then, it has become one of the most respected and widely read academic journals on American history. The Journal has published articles on a diverse range of topics, from political and social history to cultural studies and literature.
The Importance of the Journal
The Journal provides historians with an opportunity to share their research and ideas with a wider audience. It is also an important resource for students and scholars who want to stay up-to-date on recent developments in their field. The articles published in the Journal are peer-reviewed, ensuring that they meet high standards for scholarly rigor.
Structure and Content
Each issue typically contains several articles, as well as book reviews and other features. The articles are organized around a central theme or topic, which is chosen by the editors. This helps to create a cohesive narrative throughout each issue.
- Articles: These are typically longer essays that explore a particular topic or question in depth. They often draw on primary sources and original research.
- Book Reviews: These provide critical evaluations of recent books on American history. They can be especially useful for scholars who want to stay up-to-date on new research in their field.
- Other Features: The Journal also includes other features such as editorials, letters from readers, and announcements about upcoming conferences and events.
Accessing the Journal of American History
The Journal of American History is available both in print and online. Print subscriptions can be purchased through the OAH website, while online access is available through JSTOR, a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary sources.
- Print: Print subscriptions to the Journal are available for individuals and institutions. Subscribers receive four issues per year.
- Online: Online access to the Journal is available through JSTOR. Users can search and browse back issues dating back to 1914.
The Journal of American History has played an important role in shaping our understanding of American history for over a century. Its commitment to scholarly rigor and its dedication to promoting the study and teaching of American history have made it an essential resource for historians, students, and scholars alike. Whether you access it in print or online, the Journal is a must-read for anyone interested in the rich tapestry of American history.