A History of the World in 6 Glasses is a book that explores the history of humanity through the lens of six different beverages. These drinks include beer, wine, spirits, coffee, tea, and cola. The book was written by Tom Standage and published in 2005.
Where Was A History of the World in 6 Glasses Published?
The book was published by Walker & Company in the United States. It was also published by Atlantic Books in the United Kingdom under the title A History of the World in Six Glasses.
Tom Standage is a journalist and author who has written several books on history and technology. He has worked for The Economist for over twenty years as a technology editor, business affairs editor, and digital editor.
The premise of A History of the World in 6 Glasses is that certain beverages have had a significant impact on human history. Each chapter focuses on one particular beverage and its role in shaping human civilization.
- Beer: The first chapter explores how beer was instrumental in the development of agriculture and settled communities.
- Wine: The second chapter examines how wine played a role in ancient Greece and Rome, as well as its impact on Christianity.
- Spirits: In chapter three, Standage looks at how rum fueled slavery and colonization during the Age of Exploration.
- Coffee: Chapter four discusses how coffeehouses became centers of Enlightenment thought during the 18th century.
- Tea: The fifth chapter focuses on tea’s role in British colonialism and its eventual spread to other parts of the world.
- Cola: Finally, chapter six examines how Coca-Cola became a symbol of American culture and globalization in the 20th century.
A History of the World in 6 Glasses has been praised for its unique approach to world history. By focusing on specific beverages, Standage is able to provide insights into various aspects of human civilization, including economics, politics, and social movements. The book has also been used as a teaching tool in classrooms around the world.
In summary, A History of the World in 6 Glasses is a fascinating exploration of human history through the lens of six different beverages. The book was published by Walker & Company in the United States and Atlantic Books in the United Kingdom. Tom Standage’s unique approach to world history has made this book a must-read for anyone interested in learning more about how certain beverages have shaped human civilization.